Total Pageviews

Friday, October 1, 2010

Project Halloween:)

So I think to myself...Self, how should we kick-off the month of Halloween? I mean October? I find a gap in my reading line-up and start cruising through my book shelves. When I spot The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 20, edited by Stephen Jones, a light bulb ignites.
There are 22 stories, all by the scariest authors in the field. And as I have just finished watching Julie and Julia while pondering what similar exercise might work for an aspiring spook spiner to try on their blog; here goes.

The exercise: Read and review each part of this 'Mammoth' book during October, and post a review for each on this blog.

The goal: Tons of fuel for my imagination and a look at what the best in my desired field are doing.

Here Goes-
I Do a little research and see there are five, that's right, five-reviews on Amazon for it. Well... there really isn't any reason I can't read all five. Just a moment...

Here I find the first review to read much like the introduction of the book itself. A kind of... we know what we're talking about when it comes to Horror, and the publication of any type, from male authors to female alike. From big publishing houses (wait, come to think of it- there aren't any with a horror imprint, we're told) to the books, anthologies, and magazines from Indie presses.
Basically, what I get and already got from the intro of the book; this is an anthology from the people that are 'all-up-in' the horror world.

I respect that.

But ONLY because I want to be part of that world. That said, both the first review and the editor's introduction automatically exclude those who just want to be entertained. It can be very dry, reading like a 'must-do/read,' horror itinerary.

This is coming from someone who took notes while reading the intro.

Point is: If you want to be an author of Horror, you should by all means read this book.

Or maybe just the intro...the rest is still to be seen.

Amazon reviewers give it an average of 3.5 stars. The reviews range in enthusiasm from sounding like Stephen Jones, himself, to the guy/gal who's mad because of poor sales and shipping services. Seemed to love the book,though. But gave it a one star anyway.

Boo on this person- rate the book, not how you received it!

Anyhow, the introduction is 77, that's right-77, pages long. At times hard to get through, it functions both on an inspiration and information level to this budding novelist. I like knowing what the authors between these pages have won. I like hearing about horror films and publishing houses.
And when you find that it's one of the longest running series out there, it's even easier to understand all the horn blowing in the intro.

All in all, the introduction succeeds at both making me want to read more and making me want to write more. Bonus- I also want to do more research.

Thank you, Mr. Jones!

Now on to the stories. First up: Peter Crowther's Front-Page McGuffin and the Greatest Story Never Told.

No comments:

Post a Comment